Frequently Asked Questions

Why do you need Renters insurance?

  • To protect your personal property even when it is outside your apartment.
  • To protect yourself against damage you may accidentally cause to the building where you live or to other tenants’ property.
  • To support yourself if your apartment becomes uninhabitable following a loss.

Your renters insurance policy protects you in two key ways:

  1. It covers your Personal Contents that you choose to insure.

This means that the All-Risks policy wording protects your personal property against all risks that are not specifically excluded. Your personal property may even be covered when it is outside your apartment.

Examples of losses include:

  • You go on a trip and lose your luggage.
  • You forget your camera at a restaurant. When you go back to find it – it is gone.
  1. Your Renters insurance policy covers your personal liability (civil liability).

This means that if you damage someone else’s property or that person suffers bodily injury on your premises than you may be liable for that and your Renters insurance policy may cover you for this. There are some limitations and exclusions so it is important for you to read your full policy wording that we have provided for you on this website.

Always be honest with your insurance company and tell them of any situation that could influence the decision to insure you. If a claim happens and you have not told the insurance company of something then they could refuse to pay your claim.

Make sure your tenant insurance policy provides all the protection you need. Consider the steps below to ensure that you are properly covered in the event of damage or loss.

Step one: Evaluate your needs

What do you own? Take an inventory of it all. This is the best way to determine how much personal contents insurance you need. List all items in each room and their approximate purchase price.

And, don’t forget about clothing, bedding, dishes, sports equipment, electronics and other things that add up over the years. In another column, write down how much it would cost to replace each item if stolen or damaged. Your total from this column is how much insurance you should take out.

Use the personal property inventory checklist form to more accurately calculate what Personal Contents limit of insurance you should buy. 

EN – Property Inventory Checklist.pdf  |  FR – Property Inventory Checklist.pdf

Step 2: Choose your coverage

It’s up to you to decide how much you want to insure your personal property for after you have taken a full and complete inventory of all of your personal contents. This will be easy to figure out if you have completed a full inventory of your belongings with the checklist that we have provided.

The higher the coverage limit of insurance then the higher your premium will be. But always remember to never choose a limit of insurance that is too low for your actual needs. If you under-insure your property then you may face a penalty in the claims settlement process and you will not have enough insurance to pay for your claims losses.

Many tenants tend to underestimate their insurance needs so be careful when choosing your personal contents limit of insurance. Think how much it would cost to replace your appliances, kitchen, bedroom, and living room furniture, computer and electronic devices. Don’t forget the cost of your clothing, bedding, cookware and sports equipment. You may have more belongings than you think!

Decide how much additional protection you need

Pay attention to limits of insurance! Take the time to look at the four packages of insurance that we offer (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) and read the policy wording to find out which items have a limit. Do you have special belongings such as a fine arts collection, antiques or any luxury items? If so, you may need to speak with Legault to have these insured on a different policy.

If you work at home

You must tell your insurer if you work at home, even if you don’t see how it could affect your insurance. If you don’t disclose this information, your insurer could refuse all or part of your claim, even if the claim has nothing to do with your work.

Cottage, Watercraft, Vacation Property

If you own a cottage or a boat, you’ll need to contact Legault because you may need to purchase a separate insurance policy to cover those items.




Loss or damage to property that is damaged by a sewer back-up, by water entering or seeping through the roof as a result of heavy rain or by overland water?



Loss or damage caused by flood including waves, tides, tidal waves, tsunamis, seiches, dam breaks or overflow of any stream of water or body of water, whether natural or man-made?



Loss, damage or expenses caused by impact by water-borne objects, including ice.



Loss or damage caused by repeated escape, overflow or backing up of water?



Loss or damage caused by water escape, overflow or backing up of eaves troughs, downspouts or rain water leaders, French drains, sewer connections, sewers, septic tanks, drain fields or other wastewater treatment systems, ditches, sumps, retention tanks or holding ponds?



Loss or damage caused by water originating from an overflowing sump, retention tank or holding pond?



Loss or damage caused by a rupture due to freezing of a plumbing system or a domestic water container or appliance located inside OR outside an unheated building, during the regular heating season.



Loss or damage cause by in-ground swimming pools and their equipment IF you cut off the water supply and drained all installations and appliances before the winter?



Loss or damage caused by spas and saunas and their equipment, when the premises are unoccupied for more than seven consecutive days during winter IF you cut off the water supply and drained all installations and appliances?



Loss or damage caused directly by water originating from rupture of the drinking water main supplying the dwelling building?



Loss or damage caused by water when the heating in the dwelling was intentionally switched off by you or at your direction?



Loss or damage caused by ground or surface water entering or seeping into the building?



Loss or damage caused by water that enters or seeps in through an opening which was created suddenly and accidentally by an insured peril?



Loss or damage caused by rain, snow, melting snow or melting ice entering or seeping through the roofs or walls of the building, or an opening therein?



Loss or damage caused by run-off of ground or surface water?



Loss or damage caused by water while the building is under construction, even if we agreed to maintain this insurance policy in force during the construction period?



Loss, damage or expenses resulting directly or indirectly from the water table?



Loss, damage or expenses caused directly to insured property by a fire or explosion due to the water table?



Loss or damage caused directly by the peril of water damage resulting in marring or scratching of any property or breakage of any fragile articles?



Loss or damage caused by water while the dwelling building is vacant?



  1. Contact us immediately by completing the Claims Details Report below.
  2. Protect the insured property against further loss or damage
  3. Promptly advise the police of any theft or vandalism

To cancel your policy, please contact Westland Express.

Phone: 514-731-8224 #2707


When can I cancel my home insurance contract?

  • You can cancel an insurance contract at any time. 

If I cancel the contract, will I have to pay penalties? Will I be reimbursed?

  • The insurer will generally charge you a penalty if you cancel your contract before its renewal date. Once you’ve paid this penalty, the insurer will reimburse you for all overpaid premiums.

Can the insurer cancel my home insurance contract?

  • Yes. The Insurer can cancel it at any time, for any reason. However, an Insurer must notify you in writing beforehand. The insurance is cancelled 15 days after the letter is received in the post office. 

If the insurer cancels the contract, will I have to pay penalties? Will I be reimbursed?

  • If the insurer cancels the contract, it cannot force you to pay a penalty, regardless of why it cancelled the contract.
  • To cancel an insurance contract, you must tell the insurer. You must send a letter to your insurer officially notifying it that you are cancelling your contract.
  • The cancellation of an insurance contract involves ending a contract before its term. A contract can be cancelled by the insured or the insurer.
  • The insurance will be cancelled when the insurer receives your letter, not when you send it. Call your insurer to check that it received your letter, or ask for an acknowledgment of receipt.

For a complete list and description of exclusions please refer to and read your Insurance Policy. The list below is a partial and incomplete list of Common Exclusions.

Common Property Exclusions:

  • Earthquake, Other Ground Movement
  • Flood, Water Damage
  • Freezing
  • Glass Breakage
  • Loss or Damage Caused by Animals
  • Nuclear Incident
  • Rental of Your Dwelling
  • Terrorism
  • Theft or Attempted Theft
  • Use of your premises for Business Purposes not mentioned in the Coverage Summary
  • Vandalism
  • Criminal Acts

Common Civil Liability Exclusions:

  • Any claims arising out of your business or any business use of the premises
  • Aircraft
  • Assault or Harassment
  • Disease
  • Electronic Communications
  • Libel or Slander
  • Nuclear Incident
  • Premises Not Insured
  • Terrorism
  • Vehicles
  • War
  • Criminal Acts
  • Damage to an animal you own or in your custody
  • Bodily injury to you or a person living in your household

*If you answer yes to any of the following questions then do not proceed with your quote. Instead, please contact Westland Express broker by email or phone at:

Phone: 514-731-8224 #2707


To help us determine if our Renters Insurance policy is right for you, please answer the following questions.

  1. Do you own any watercraft, or motorized watercraft?
  2. Are you self-employed, do you own a business, or do you operate any business from your home?
  3. Do you own or regularly occupy any other dwelling, such as a cottage or seasonal dwelling, camp or condominium?
  4. Do you own a vacation home or trailer that you wish to insure? (If you rent two apartments, you can answer “no” to this question as you will be able to purchase two apartment policies, one for each apartment.)
  5. Have you or a resident of your apartment household have had more than two (2) claims made against a previous Tenants, Condo, or Homeowners policy in the past 5 years?
  6. Do you have more than three (3) room-mates?

If you still need assistance or have additional questions, please contact Westland Express.


A non-refundable administration fee of 20% and a sales tax of 9% of your net premium will be added to the package amount.